AS EASY AS SLIPPING ON THE ICE…
The other day I was on the bus, heading for work. This old gent across from me, a gray overcoat, soft and worn greasy at the elbows, head down and hunched like he could still feel the chill of the winter on the bus.He pulled the bell cord, needing to get off. I was sitting by the middle door. He stood up to head for the door and a bottle fell out of his coat pocket. A cheap vodka, a pint my dad used to call it, or a mickey as my grandparents called it. It was partially drained. He’d obviously been tippling.
Shame radiated from every pore, as he bent with slow arthritic strain to retrieve the bottle. He looked at me then, with the saddest of eyes. “Shit happens,” he said with a shrug.
I could tell he was terribly embarrassed. As low as he had sunk, the man still hung onto his shredded dignity. The people on the bus were alternating between sneers and horror. Some just simply looked away.
I looked up at him and said, “Cold day, isn’t it?”.
For a time we sat and talked.
My stop arrived.
I stepped off of the bus, skidding a little as I hit the frozen sidewalk.
It’s scary to think how easy it can happen to any of us. A bad day, a certain blow, one too many failures, and you reach for something comfortable. People fall through the cracks, as easily as falling on the ice.
There’s a bottle, and a dirty coat, but there’s a man there, as well.
* * *
I’m very excited today. Just completed my first assignment for Really Scary.
That’s all for today.
Yours in horror,
PLEASE BUY ME A CUP OF COFFEE TODAY.
BUY MY BOOKS ON AMAZON!
BUY MY BOOKS ON KOBO
BUY MY BOOKS ON SMASHWORDS!
BUY MY BOOKS ON GOOGLE PLAY!
PLEASE – Sign Up For My Mailing List
Top Posts & Pages
- Day 6 at NaNoWriMo - Making a To-Do List
- How many ways can you say "he said"???
- Writing Blindly - When You Don't Know Where A Story Is Going
- Cabbage Night, Colcannon and Creativity
- Kindle Unlimited - Is it worth it?
- My Latest Writing Project
- Can a "Bulletproof Vest" Also Stop a Knife?
- Kodachrome - more than just your average road movie
- SUDDEN DEATH OVERTIME - a perfect combination of hockey, vampires and canlit!
- RT @jay_lemming: Get FREE copies of great selection of horror, fantasy, fantasy, sci-fi or thrillers during the 2018 Summer Scares giveaway… 12 hours ago
- RT @mike_noble: The news about @BrianKeene catching on fire has overshadowed the news about him showing up as a hardass officer in @Stephen… 12 hours ago
- York County horror novelist @BrianKeene faces a horror of his own, suffering severe burns ydr.com/story/opinion/… via @ydrcom 13 hours ago
- Pretentious Title: How I Went From Writing 2,000 Words a Day to 10,000 Words a Day: thisblogisaploy.blogspot.com/2011/06/how-i-… 14 hours ago
- RT @BrianKeene: My new book, END OF THE ROAD, is up for preorder from @CemeteryDance. It comes with a free bonus @JohnUrbancik chapbook and… 15 hours ago
- 87,737 hits